SITTING AT A TABLE WITH A VIEW OF TABLE MOUNTAIN
Nowhere else in the city gives you so many dining options with a view of our prized mountain, one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature.
49. Although Firefish has beautiful interiors, you’ll want to sit outside to take in the monumental flat-topped peak. The restaurant is protected by glass screens for breezy days, and offers all-weather comfort. Check out its post-lockdown reduced-price menu and indulge in delectable prawn tempura with lime, coriander and jalapeño dressing, or pan-roasted sword fish with chorizo, tomato, basil and new potato.
50. The sound of seagulls is the backdrop to La Parada, a restaurant that affords great views of our natural wonder. Sit at the spekboom-edged counter to get the best view of the water, the Gape Grace Hotel and the mountain towering beyond. The tapas menu can have you whiling away many hours in culinary delight. Think ham croquetas, patatas bravas and churros. Currently open Thurs-Sun.
51. Spur remains a family favourite, and our dear one named Santa Ana produces even more pleasure for its top-storey setting with majestic view of the Cape Wheel and mountain. Sit on the deck, or behind the clear stacking windows and tuck into a plate of nachos before ordering the popular combo of ribs and buffalo wings. Top it all off with a Bar One milkshake.
52. Sit waterside under umbrellas at Ginja as you sip on a Singapore Sling or a latte from the restaurant’s trendy coffee bar, and become mesmerised by the grandeur of our spectacular peak. For a meat treat, try the wagyu beef burger or braised beef shin, and end with the decadent chocolate fondant. Look out for Ginja’s Gin High Tea on the first Saturday of every month.
53. The Woolworths Café on the retailer’s top floor is a hidden gem tucked behind the men’s apparel section. Views from the floor-to-ceiling windows stretch from the Table Bay Hotel on the left, across the harbour to Table Mountain in the distance, and you can even spot the edge of Signal Hill on the right if you sit at the window counter. Try the plant-based Beyond Burger or butternut, coconut and ginger soup if on a health kick.
Illustration by Nick Ntuli @nickntuli
Photos by Arehone Malovhele @by.areh
After the success of 100 Beautiful Things, where we celebrated creativity, compassion, ingenuity and resilience, through projects, products, ideas and experiences from around the country, we’re bringing this idea of celebration closer to home. Through 100 Beautiful Experiences, we’ll be looking at incredible moments and delights that are available right on our doorstep. Photographed and illustrated by a group of young South African talents, many of our experiences are unique to our hood and can be found nowhere else on the planet!
Every visit to the V&A Waterfront is an opportunity to discover a different part of the city, learn about our heritage, source the best products, dine on the most exquisite fare and connect with friends and family in a safe and happy environment. While we’re only sharing 100 Beautiful Experiences with you, we know you’ll find many more each time you visit, and look forward to hearing of your experiences too.